Morocco is one of the top travel destinations in Africa. It’s a beautiful, romantic and exciting place to visit with an incredible history and culture.
Morocco has become one of the most popular countries in the world over the last few years because of its fascinating attractions. With so many beautiful places to see in Morocco, it can be hard to decide which place to visit first.
There are several places that are absolutely worth seeing in Morocco this year, and our 12 top places to visit in Morocco will blow your mind.
12 MIND- BLOWING PLACES TO SEE IN MOROCCO
Despite its age and architecture, Meknes makes it onto the list of the best places to visit in Morocco. Located in northern Morocco, it is a 9th-century medina and also one of the country’s former capitals.
When you visit here, you might get the feeling that it’s not as good as to visit the other cities in Morocco, but the Royal Palace and other important historical sites are an ideal stopover to learn about Moroccan culture. Don’t forget to visit its charming attractions that make it so popular with tourists seeking exotic Arabian experiences.
- Take a day trip to the hilltop pilgrimage town of Moulay Idriss.
- Visit the Dar Jamai Museum to learn more about Moroccan architecture.
- Take photos of the gorgeous Bab Mansour Gate
The Asilah Coast is located on the North Atlantic coast of Morocco and is popular with tourists and citizens as a hot summer spot.
Aside from the sandy beaches, the city walls covered in colourful murals make this one of the best spots in Morocco.
This is one of the amazing reasons why honeymoon in Morocco should be on your bucket list!
If you’re here in August, don’t forget to attend the city’s vibrant annual Festival of the Arts, making it one of the city’s most popular.
- Shopping in the small souk
- Visit the Oceano Casa Pepe restaurant for a fancy lunch
- Visit Aplanos, the famous art gallery
A.K.A. Paradise For Trekkers, this is the highest mountain range in North Africa, the High Atlas is popularly known as the mountain of mountains. This place is a hiker’s paradise, especially from spring to autumn. It crosses Morocco diagonally for about 1,000 km, with its Jurassic sawtooth tips acting as a weather barrier.
Of all the best places in Morocco, this one is so beautiful it will take your breath away! Get out your walking shoes and embark on a journey you will remember for a lifetime!
- Enter a hiking trail in Toubkal National Park
- Explore the souvenir shops and restaurants in Imlil
- Enjoy spectacular views from the Tizi n’Test Pass
Essaouira is one of the main tourist attractions in Morocco. And not just because it’s a great city to escape the heat and monotony of city life, but also because Game of Thrones season 3 was filmed here!
What makes it so popular? The Seaside Town! It was a popular beach hangout for celebrities like Jimi Hendrix and Bob Marley in the 1960s. You never know, you might meet your favourite celebrity on your visit to Essaouira! If you don’t, then don’t miss Gnaoua, one of the liveliest beach festivals in the world.
- Stroll through the Medina or along the walls to admire the wonderful view of the Atlantic Ocean
- Explore the walled city
- Go horse riding, windsurfing and kitesurfing
- If possible, attend the Gnaoua World Music Festival
Set in the middle of the Rif Mountains, Chefchaouen, also known as the blue city, is a small town in a vast landscape. Among all the cities to visit in Morocco, this one is popular for travelling solo and exploring the city’s famous blue and white painted houses.
The people are also very friendly, so you’ll surely will enjoy something sweet.
Hospitality makes here one of the best places in Morocco. Don’t forget to visit the remote and tranquil Ras El Maa, one of the
most fascinating and secret places in Morocco.
- Go hiking and wild Swimming in the area
- Enjoy a drink amidst the architecture of Outa el Hammam Square
- Dive into the mesmerizing waterfalls of Ras El Maa
The desert is an absolute must-see when in Morocco. From watching the beautiful sunset over the dunes to stargazing at the sky full of twinkling stars, every desert experience is captivating and unforgettable. Of all the best things to do in Morocco, make sure you set aside a few days for a trip to the Sahara Desert, one of the top travel destinations in Morocco!
- Try out desert safaris or camel caravans
- Enjoy the scenic views of the Draa Valley, stretching from the city of Ouarzazate to the desert.
- Interact with the natives
- Go on a group camel safari
Located on the coast, Rabat is the country’s capital and one of the main tourist attractions in Morocco. Morocco’s year-round good weather and quiet beaches are just some of the reasons for its popularity.
The city has a new part with wide boulevards and street cafés and the old town or Medina with fortified walls. With so much to offer, tourists of all ages and nationalities, you need to make sure you don’t leave this place out of your itinerary!
- Take a tour of Hassan Tower
- Visit Chellah and escape the crowds
- Shop for everything from souvenirs to fresh produce from the Medina
While Casablanca may not be as atmospheric as the other cities, it is certainly one of the best places to visit in Morocco and the ideal representation of modernity. The city’s impressive Moorish buildings, which blend French colonial design with traditional Moroccan style, are best admired here. It is definitely one of the best places to travel in Morocco due to its amazing food and architecture.
- Tour of the city in a CasaTramway
- Enjoy panoramic city views from the Casablanca Twin Center
- Visit the Royal Palace and experience the masterpiece of Islamic architecture
If you’ve always loved dry desert scenes in Hollywood movies, you’ll be thrilled to know that some of your favorite dessert classics traveled through Morocco at some point during filming. Morocco has welcomed Hollywood directors since the 1960s, and the city of Ouarzazate has been the center of it all. If you love capturing beautiful moments with your camera lenses, this is surely one of the best places in Morocco for you!
So now you know what makes this city one of the best places in Morocco! With all its Arabian beauty that draws travellers from far and wide, it is certain to provide an excellent background for your photos.
- Take a tour of Atlas Film Studios, where films like Cleopatra and Kingdom of Heaven were filmed
- Explore the restaurants and shops in the main square
- Visit the settlement of Ait Ben Haddou, which served as a backdrop for films such as Lawrence of Arabia and The Living Daylights
Located in the northern foothills of the Atlas Mountains, Marrakech is a bustling city with a large medina and one of the most popular tourist attractions in Morocco. From the central Djemma El-Fna square to the El Badi Palace and the bustling souks or bazaars, there is so much to do and see here! Shopping is one of the best things to do in Morocco and Marrakech is the ideal place to do it. In fact, along with Agadir, Marrakech is also considered the safest city to visit in Morocco. This is certainly one of the best places in Morocco.
- Visit Jemaa El Fna square and shop in the souks
- Learn to learn more about Moroccan culture via Dar Si Said Museum
- Have a drink in Kechmara or enjoy an elegant dinner at Hotel La Maison Arabe
Tinghir, hidden between the High Atlas Mountains and the beautiful Sahara, is Morocco’s crown jewel, conveniently located in the middle of the Todra Valley and probably one of the best spots in Morocco for couples. Unlike other places in this country, Tinghir is an old French town that has now developed into a sprawling city that entertains tourists with lush flower gardens, kasbahs and narrow rustic streets.
It is also the favorite city of all trekkers in Morocco, as it offers a breathtaking view of the entire city and the surrounding hills after a trek to the ruins of the 18th-century Glaoui Palace, located at a considerable height, offers.
- Trek to Glaoui Palace
- Shop for souvenirs at the handicraft market
- Ride a camel
After much of it was destroyed in the 1960 earthquake, including some of its historic sites, Agadir finally managed to rise from the ashes. Now it’s a thriving seaside resort with a beautiful promenade and a laid-back vibe in every direction, making this beautiful city the best spot in Morocco for couples. This is certainly one of the best places in Morocco.
This bustling and busy port city proudly displays its battle scars and has become one of the top places to visit in Morocco. From strolling the beautiful streets, sunbathing on the beaches, to feasting on Moroccan delicacies at the various food stalls, there is plenty to do on your trip to Agadir, Morocco.
- Walk on the beach in Agadir
- Hike to Souss-Massa National Park
- Immerse yourself in Moroccan history at the Agadir Museum
SUGGESTED READ: The Maldives, 11 Most Breath Taking Places To See, 2022
We believe the list above will make it easier for you to decide which place to visit first.
It’s no secret that Morocco is a wonderful country with a rich culture and amazing sights, so you just have to go there to see it for yourself!
IF YOU LIKED THIS POST PLEASE DO LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW AND IF YOU WANT MORE CONTENT LIKE THIS ALSO LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW WOULD BE WAITING TO HEAR FROM YOU.